As we age, it’s normal to experience changes – even those we don’t welcome with open arms. Loose or saggy skin around the face, neck, and chest can be one of these changes. The good news? There are a few ways to tighten skin and help prevent future sagging. Here’s what causes loose skin, and what you can do about it.
Collagen and elastin are proteins that keep skin smooth and wrinkle free, the hallmarks of healthy and youthful looking skin. Unfortunately, these proteins are broken down over time by aging, hormone changes, weight loss, sun damage and exposure to toxins. As these proteins weaken, we notice more wrinkles, frown lines, and sagging skin.
Areas of saggy skin that can be tightened and toned:
Face / Eyes / Jowls / Neck / Decolletage / Tummy / Elbows / Hands / Thighs / Knees
What can I do to treat saggy skin?
- Assess your skin with a qualified aesthetician who can advise the best treatment for your problem area, expected results and timescales. Quick solutions like botox, fillers, profhilo can be offered where a quick short term result is required. For those wanting to repair and renew with long term results cosmeceuticals, radio frequency and laser technologies can be offered. Results from 4 weeks lasting years when complimented with top up routines.
- When you want to see a real change, most experts agree that radiofrequency (RF) energy is the best treatment. RF energy heats the collagen under the skin’s surface, causing it to contract and to also create more collagen naturally. Collagen is one of the building blocks of healthy, youthful skin but it dwindles with advancing age. Radio Frequency and laser treatments can tighten skin almost anywhere on the body. Radio Frequency is noninvasive, non surgical and not painful. Radiofrequency uses a handheld device to heat the skin for a tightening effect. With radiofrequency the skin is heated at a much deeper level to trigger collagen production. There’s really little to no downtime. It can feel really hot—it’s like a hot stone massage. It’s also a gradual process, you can be in and out in under an hour. You’ll need two to six treatments (depending on the size of the area you’re treating, delivered 7-10 days apart). The benefit of non-surgical tightening is that there’s no downtime…but it’s also gradual. You have to wait for the collagen and elastin to be produced. This will usually take around 4-6 weeks but the effects will continue for years to come especially with top up treatments. So usually it’s a few treatments spaced apart, little or no downtime. So you just have to be patient. Radio Frequency can provide an alternative option to surgical face lifts.
- Botox & Fillers provide an instant result that will last 3-6 months.
- Exercise. Building muscle mass through weight training exercises can help decrease the appearance of loose skin. This is especially so if the loose skin is from weight loss
- Cosmeceuticals can repair damage caused by sun, pollution, general aging
- Surgical Skin Tightening
Treatments by area offered at The Female Health Clinic:
- Face – Obagi Prescription Skin Care / Radio Frequency and Laser Rejuvenation / Botox & Fillers / Surgical Face Lift
- Jowls – Radio Frequency Tightening & Toning / Surgical Face Lift
- Neck – Radio Frequency Tightening & Toning / Surgical Neck Lift
- Tummy – Radio Frequency Tightening & Toning / Microneedling & Laser for stretch marks and scars / Surgical Tummy Tuck
- Elbows – Radio Frequency Tightening & Toning
- Hands – Radio Frequency Tightening & Toning / Laser Rejuvenation / IPL for pigmentation
- Knees – Radio Frequency Tightening & Toning
If you’d like any advice concerning anti ageing treatments, skin rejuvenation, please get in touch to book your tailored consultation. Our team are friendly and welcoming, we’re always on hand to offer treatment information.
A thin layer of cosmetic product or gel is applied to the treatment area and the RF applicator is moved in circular motions over the skin. The RF will heat the skin and deeper subcutaneous tissue layers.
Click here to request a copy of our clinical evidence for Radio Frequency Skin Tightening, Lifting & Toning